Haley’s First Birth

The LONGEST birth story but the EASIEST birth!


It all began on a Thursday morning but I was unaware. I woke up and had the “feeling” you know, the feeling you just can’t describe. I went into work telling my co-workers that I would be in labor by the weekend but I just didn’t feel like I was in labor yet. I felt like I should go ahead and have everything prepared at work for my fill-in “just in case”. I worked steadily all day generating reports, helping in a dental sedation and I even managed to do a cleaning with my big ol’ belly while I felt it was impossible to even sit down from the pressure I was feeling. It was a very busy day. We had to grab a quick lunch so we stopped by Panera. For some reason I felt like I needed pasta for carbs and green tea so that I would have the energy I needed for if I were to go into labor that night.


Around the end of the work day I still had the “feeling” but was feeling absolutely nothing but low pressure that I had been feeling for weeks. I had just accepted the fact today wasn’t the day. I stopped by my Grams to see her and my mom. I tried to sit outside to talk but I was feeling so much pressure sitting I decided I would grab dinner and go home. 9:00PM rolled around and my husband and I decided we would go ahead and go to bed since we both had work the next day.


As we went to bed I started feeling what felt like light menstrual cramps so once again I just assumed it was nothing. Around 11:00PM I was still feeling them but it wasn’t ever too strong so I still didn’t feel like it was anything (not even Braxton Hicks). I had begun to pay more attention because I noticed they weren’t going away and it felt like they were coming in waves. At this point my husband was sound asleep and had no idea I was even up, or feeling the slightest bit like I could be in labor.  I decided I would just download a contraction counter app on my phone to see if they were timeable. To my surprise for the 30 minute span I timed they were 5-7 minutes apart lasting for about 45 seconds.


I still felt like there was NO WAY I was in labor so I decided to take a bath to see if they’d stop. NOPE! They become even closer together. I laid in the tub and timed them until about 12:15AM and they were only getting closer together, 3-5 minutes apart and lasting about a minute. I still felt very light cramps so I decided I would just lay in the bath and take a nap until they went away. Out of NOWHERE I was awoken by a “POPPING” sound. Yep, my water definitely broke!!! (YAY!) I stayed calm and didn’t let myself get too excited or nervous because I was afraid of stalling my labor.


I woke up my husband and called my midwife, Kim, which she was awesome!! Of course since I was a first time mom and I was able to talk through my pressure waves (Hypnobabies term for contraction) she advised me it would probably be a while so I could stay home; which is what I had planned anyways. At that time my pressure waves were about 3-4 minutes apart and still lasting for a minute but I could still walk and talk through them while doing last minute packing. I told my husband to go back to bed because everything was ready and I would wake him up when I felt like I needed some help. To pass the time and to ease the few pressure waves I felt, I would alternate the bath and shower while running some of my birth affirmations in my head. I decided not to listen to my Hypnobabies track but use everything I had learned so that I could be more in tune with what my body was feeling and just enjoy the moment.


Around 5:00AM my pressure waves were 2-3 minutes apart and still lasting 1 minute. I kept feeling like all I wanted to do was push through them- so I did! I decided to wake Tyler up and call Kim back to update her because I had a feeling it was time to get to the hospital. Of course, she told me to stay home longer because she couldn’t tell I was having a pressure wave through the phone since I was so calm and quiet. I quickly let her know I didn’t think I should stay home because if I pushed hard enough my baby would turn from a hospital waterbirth to a home waterbirth!! She then agreed it was definitely time.


We had about a 30 minute drive to the hospital. Which, might I add, was the LONGEST 30 minutes of my life. We finally arrive to Greenville Memorial Hospital where I would deliver at about 6:00AM. I decided I was still comfortable enough to walk to labor and delivery. Keep in mind, my pressure waves are 2 minutes apart lasting 1 minute during this time. I walked through all the halls, stopping to “ride a pressure wave.” Julie had once mentioned to think of it like a roller coaster and act like your pressure waves are that roller coaster- once you hit the peak, it’s all downhill.  And that’s just what I did! I waited them out, smiled at all the strangers asking my husband if I needed a wheel chair and I kept on walking to Labor and Delivery.


When we got to triage I signed myself in, had a pressure wave at the check in and was told it would be a while before they got to be because I didn’t seem to be in “too much pain”. I politely told them I was a Hypnobabies mom and I would be having my child in the triage bathroom if they didn’t get me to a tub of water ASAP! Obviously they didn’t believe me. After about 15 minutes no one had come to check on me so I changed into my cute gown I had packed and I headed for the bathroom. My husband, obviously panicking and begging me not to, went to find a nurse so that I wouldn’t give birth in a bathroom (insert laughing emoji here). Finally the nurse came and agreed to check me. I was at 8-9cm!!!!


They rushed me to the waterbirth suite, quickly monitored until Kim arrived and checked me- I was at 9cm! I decided to get in the tub and asked how long it would be before I could push. Once again, “it’ll probably be awhile since you’re a new mom”. Within 10 minutes of being in water I felt a slight burning. I could not feel any of my pressure waves and honestly felt GREAT but I knew it was time to push. Kim said we could try but to not get discouraged if it didn’t happen right then. Since I was so comfortable and couldn’t feel pressure waves she told me to push when I felt like I might could feel something, so I did! Within 10 minutes of pushing we welcomed our Beautiful 8lb 3oz Julia Claire into this world at 7:06AM!! Everyone had said for 9 months I would never be able to have a natural, waterbirth and in that moment I could finally say “I DID IT!!!” If I could do it over a million times, I would. Thanks to God and Hypnobabies I had an easy, comfortable waterbirth that I’ll never forget!


Thank you, Julie, for teaching women the beauty of Hypnobabies and natural childbirth!!

One thought on “Haley’s First Birth

  1. This is Tyler’s Great Aunt CJ (well yours too, & Ju’s Great Aunt x2 LOL) I read your story and felt like I was right there with you it was BEAUTIFUL and you told it PERFECTLY I wish you all three the best and again I enjoyed the story of your little Ju more that you will ever know

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s